It's green for go but ports are slow to back foundation's award scheme" (2)


(Article, published in Lloyd's List, 16-08-2002)

Green Award audits examine office procedures every three years - although some owners have requested annual audits - in addition to annual ship inspections, with both designed to "recognise quality and organisation". Some 70% of ship inspectors look at the human side of the operation, while the remaining 30% focus on how the ship is maintained and organised.

One of the areas worrying Mr. De Goeij is the proliferation of other environmental incentive schemes. "There are the Nox and Sox Award in Sweden, Qualship 21 in the United States, while Australia, Canada and Japan are also developing their own systems", he points out. Some base their acceptance criteria on ships maintaining a clean three-year detention record, not on surveys or inspections. Others bar ships flying certain flags automatically no matter how well they are maintained or how good their owners are. No one can stop governments introducing these schemes, but Mr De Goeij wants a "form of transparency and compatability".

He adds: "We want to avoid people reinventing the wheel in developing different green ship programmes as this represents a scattering of collective energies." Instead, the foundation is pushing for the establishment of the MEGA (Maritime Environment Global Alliance) platform to bring all relative parties together and exchange ideas. Mr. De Goeij feels that such a forum will be able to co-ordinate and discuss issues and satisfy regional concerns."
 

© 2009 | Sitemap | Disclaimer | Contact